times new roman 12 pt ., O t h e r
times new roman 12 pt ., O t h e r
Description of a Persuasive Paper
A Persuasive Paper is a style of academic writing where an author presents both sides of an argument or issue. The main purpose of a Persuasive Paper is to inform rather than convince – that’s why this type of paper should not be confused with a persuasive essay. Think of this paper as a debate – you will analyze a topical question (see list below) from both the ‘pro’ and ‘con’ viewpoints based on research and justification from literature. The Persuasive Paper is a synthesis of the opposing viewpoints on a topic.
Topics – You are to select one topic from the list below and follow the instructions to write the papers:
- Violent video games have a negative psychological impact on children.
- News on the Internet is trustworthy.
- Autonomous vehicles are safe to ride in.
- The ‘digital divide’ had no effect on education during the pandemic.
- The government should have the authority to demand a mobile phone be unlocked during a criminal investigation.
- Society has become too reliant on technology.
- The benefits of artificial intelligence are worth the potential hazards.
- Social Media websites should be mandated to protect personal privacy.
There are three (3) basic elements to a Persuasive Paper:
- Position: It’s essential to determine which side of the argument you are taking. For example,you may be arguing that tobacco products or cannabis should be made illegal. Make a point to express why you took your initial position. For example, you may provide exact reasons to show how tobacco products may be damaging people’s health.
- Evidence: This is where you should provide factual substantiation for your reasons from outside resources. It is very important to give citations and references for where you gathered your evidence. If there is no proof, the evidence may not be taken into account. For example, you could cite health studies or scientific papers related to the effects of tobacco products on peoples’ health to prove your statement.
- Counterarguments: This is where you need to present the other side of the issue. Provide the opposing argument from your point of view. After stating these counterarguments, you should state why they are false, weak, or ineffective by presenting further evidence.Format of Paper
- Introduction where you introduce the central message of your paper (the thesis statement). Example: Tobacco products can induce various health problems, including cancers, heart attacks, and obesity. State the topic and your opinion.
- Background of the subject where you provide details on the topic. Example: historical information on people who have smoked long-term and those who have been exposed to tobacco smoke for long periods of time, and the long-term effects of smoking.
- Main arguments — Talk about the main points of your position. For example, you could write about the feeling of addiction that makes it difficult to give up smoking.
- Refutation — Here is where your counterarguments come into place. Introduce the opposite side you will need to refute as being invalid. Example: Some people think that smoking does not affect health and that genetic predisposition is more impactful in causing problems for one’s health. However, there is major evidence which shows that smoking can cause bigger long-term damage to lungs than a genetic predisposition to cancer.
- Conclusion — Summarize / restate your opinion (position) and synthesize the ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ on the topic. Present all of the main arguments and provide solutions or studies that need to be conducted in the future.Assignment ExpectationsThe paper should be a minimum of five (5) pages in length, Times New Roman 12 pt., and double spaced. Title page and references are not including in the page minimum. You should have a minimum of eight (8) academic references. Be sure to properly cite all sources, per APA standards. Upload the paper to the Assignments folder in either Word or pdf format.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!