PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EXERCISES.
Please complete ALL THREE of the Professional Development exercises.
- Develop a workflow analysis of the patient flow in the Emergency Department. This will include the time the patient enters the ED to the time they interact with the following:
- Triage Nurse
- Assigned Nurse
- Lab and/or Imaging
- Admit to floor or discharge to home
- Make sure to include SmartArt to delineate the different areas within the workflow and include a key.
- Read the Following and Answer Questions
“In my experience consulting, I have seen several examples of organizations that incorporate the printing of paper reports, which replicate information that has been entered and is available with the electronic patient record. These reports are often reviewed, signed, and acted on instead of the electronic information. Despite the knowledge that the information contained in these reports was outdated the moment the report was printed and the very nature of using the report for workflow is an inefficient practice, this method of clinical workflow is prevalent in many hospitals across the United States. There is an underlying fear that drives the decision to mold a paper-based workflow around clinical technology. There is also a lack of the appropriate amount of integration that would otherwise allow this information to be available in an electronic form.”
- How does workflow analysis help practicing nurses?
- Can we mold paper-based workflows into clinical information systems? Explain your answer.
- Imagine that you are the INS charged with implementing the use of electronic records. What strategies could you use to promote a seamless transition?
Please submit one APA formatted analysis consisting of 1500 words, not including the title and reference page. The assignment should have a minimum of two scholarly sources, in addition to the textbook.
McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. (2018). Nursing science and the foundation of knowledge. In Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (4th ed. (pp. 1-19). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.