As you read, the case study on ionic foot bath use, think about the questions within the case study and then post here on some of the following questions.
Note** each person doesn’t not have to answer every question but you should each be writing at least a paragraph per post. Remember to post twice before the due date (once as your own post and once as a response OR twice in response to other people’s posts). Questions to thinks about for discussion:
- Based on the results (in the table in Part III) which of the two variables tested in this study appears to have the largest effect on improved health?
- Have you been in a situation where the placebo effect may have played a part in your response to a treatment? Did you realize it at the time? Feel free to share J
- Do you expect the placebo effect to work when you know it’s a placebo?
- If the placebo effect is real, where’s the harm in letting people remain uninformed (or falsely informed) about the mechanism of action of ionic foot baths?
- Propose a hypothesis to explain why the strength of the placebo effect might be increasing in recent years.
- Why do people sometimes turn away from evidence-based medicine and scientifically trained experts in the treatment of their health?