MANAGING HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
Please view attached for instruction and guidance
Health Services Management II
Portfolio Project: Managing Health Care Professionals
Goal: The goal of this assignment is for you to become familiar with current regulations that govern the management of healthcare professionals in the U.S. healthcare delivery system.
Course Outcomes Addressed:
1. Distinguish between education, training, and credentialing of physicians, nurses, nurse’s aides, midlevel practitioners, and allied health professionals.
2. Identify five factors affecting the supply of and demand for healthcare professionals.
3. Analyze reasons for healthcare professional turnover and cost turnover.
4. Propose strategies for increasing retention and preventing turnover of healthcare professionals.
5. Define and provide examples of conflict of interest.
6. Discuss issues associated with the management of the work life of physicians, nurses, nurse’s aides, midlevel practitioners, and allied health professionals.
Read the case below, Managing Healthcare Professionals. Based on this review, discuss the following questions regarding the content of this case study. You may also supplement the information in the article with information from one of the two text books. Length of paper must be between 1500 and 2000 words and utilize APA format.
Case Study (Scenario 4):
You are the assistant director of the hospital medical staff office at the Rural Outreach Community Hospital in a tiny town in Arkansas. It is your job to verify physician credentials for staff privileges. Your hospital receives an application from a physician for staff privileges. On his application, it states that he graduated from medical school in El Salvador. When you call to verify this, you are told that the medical school burned down two years ago and all the records were destroyed. What do you do?
1. Delineate the steps in attaining state licensing for physicians and nurses.
2. Describe the differences between licensure and credentialing.
3. Distinguish between core privileges and specific privileges in physician credentialing.
4. Describe why physician credentialing is one of the most important jobs in a hospital and why the National Practitioner Data Bank was created.
Grade Conversion: A = 90 – 100points B+ = 85 – 89.9 B = 80-84.9 points C+ = 75 – 79.9
C = 70-74.9 points F = 69 or less points
|Amount of Information||32-35 pointsAll topics are addressed and all questions answered with sufficient detail and references to information in case study. At least 7-9 sentences covering Question #4.||28-31 pointsAll topics are addressed and most questions answered in sufficient detail and references to information in case study. At least 7 sentences covering Question #4.||25-27 pointsAll topics are addressed, and most questions answered in sufficient detail and references to information in case study. At least 5 sentences covering Question #4.||0-24 pointsOne or more topics were not addressed.||Total Points:____________|
|Quality of Information||32-35 pointsInformation clearly relates to the main topic. It includes several (3+) supporting details and/or examples.||28-31 pointsInformation clearly relates to the main topic. It provides 1-2 supporting details and/or examples.||25-27 pointsInformation clearly relates to the main topic. No details and/or examples are given.||0-24 pointsInformation has little or nothing to do with the main topic.||Total Points:____________|
|Sources||9-10 pointsAll sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented in APA format.||8 pointsAll sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented, but a few are not in APA format.||7 pointsAll sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented, but many are not in APA format.||0-6 pointsSome sources are not accurately documented.||Total Points:____________|
|Mechanics||9-10 pointsNo grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.||8 pointsLess than two grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors||7 pointsThree – four grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.||0-6 pointsMore than four grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors.||Total Points:____________|
|Paragraph Construction||9-10 pointsAll paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.||8 pointsMost paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.||7 pointsParagraphs included related information but were typically not constructed well.||0-6 pointsParagraphing structure was not clear and sentences were not typically related within the paragraphs.||Total Points:____________|
|Late PenaltyThere will be 20 points deducted from your overall score on all late assignments, and it must be turned in by the next class day. If it is not turned in on by the very next class day, you will lose all of the points.||Total Points:____________|