Do NOT copy from the internet!
PATIENT COMPLAINT BASKET TEST
The administrator of a clinic has received the following series of patient complaints:
- The parents of a patient alleged that the physician rudely rushed off their daughter’s symptoms; shortly thereafter, the daughter was diagnosed elsewhere with a malignant brain tumor
- A patient complained that the physician refused to provide a letter to her employer stating she needed more time off from work, and she threatened to sue if the letter was not forthcoming
- A patient complained that his bill was too high, that the physician had misinformed him about one of his test results, and that this caused a delay in treatment
- A patient was angered when her biopsy was put off because of the physician’s vacation plans, delaying a diagnosis of metastasized breast cancer by four weeks
- A patient complained that confidentiality was breached by an employee who discussed his case outside the clinic in a social setting: the patient demanded that the employee be fired
- A patient requested a refund because the clinic lost X-ray films depicting progress of his pituitary tumor
- A patient accused a physician of improper sexual conduct
- A patient relayed a series of minor complaints against the physician and the clinic, requesting that the remaining bill of $38.00 be written off
Case Discussion Questions
- Classify the complaints by severity on a scale from one to three, where one is the most severe.
- Select one of the severe complaints and recommend a solution.