DESIGNING AND MEASURING OUTCOMES
As noted in previous courses of the DNP program, it is essential to design measurable outcomes that can guide the development, implementation, and evaluation of an initiative. For this Discussion, you are asked to examine professional standards and other factors that require consideration as you develop outcomes for your proposed evidence-based change. Think about the various groups that are invested in—or that may be affected by—this change. What measures would stakeholders need in order to help determine if the change aligns with organizational priorities and is successful in achieving its intended outcomes? Why is it important to establish accountability around this initiative?
- Look at outcomes established for at least one evidence-based change currently underway or previously accomplished within your practicum setting. What lessons can be learned to support the development of outcomes for your proposed change?
- What outcomes would you identify for your proposed change? How are these tied to AACN Essentials? What other standards or guidelines should be considered? What interdisciplinary factors need to be considered as you craft these outcomes? Think about other clinical and administrative groups, as well as patients.
- How will the outcomes be measured?
- Be prepared to support your Discussion postings with evidence from the literature and specific examples related to your practicum setting.
By Day 3 of Week 8
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
By tomorrow Wednesday 4/17/19 2pm (America/New York time), write a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 3 references (see list or required readings below). Include the level one headers as numbered below:
1) Describe three outcomes for your proposed change. For each outcome, describe the evaluation criterion/criteria that is/are measurable.
2) Explain how these outcomes relate to multiple sets of standards, as well as differing groups’ needs and priorities. Why is intra- and interdisciplinary collaboration important as you design these outcomes?
3) How do the measurable outcomes for your proposed change establish accountability for you as a leader?
White, K. M., & Dudley-Brown, S.(2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice. (2nd edition) New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Review Chapter 14, “Creating a Culture that Promotes Translation”
Kutney-Lee, A., Germack, H., Hatfield, L., Kelly, S., Maguire, P., Dierkes, A., & … Aiken, L. H. (2016). Nurse Engagement in Shared Governance and Patient and Nurse Outcomes. Journal Of Nursing Administration, 46(11), 605-612. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000412
Sung-Heui, B. (2016). CNE SERIES. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Reimbursement Policy and Nursing-Sensitive Adverse Patient Outcomes. Nursing Economic$, 34(4), 161-181.
Twigg, D. E., Gelder, L., & Myers, H. (2015). The impact of understaffed shifts on nurse-sensitive outcomes. Journal Of Advanced Nursing, 71(7), 1564-1572. doi:10.1111/jan.12616
Yankovsky, A., Gajewski, B. J., & Dunton, N. (2016). Trends in Nursing Care Efficiency From 2007 to 2011 on Acute Nursing Units. Nursing Economic$, 34(6), 266-276.