Discussion Chapter #3– Critical Thinking and Learning Cultures: Teaching, Learning, and Taking Tests
Textbook: Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment by Alfaro-Le-Fevre
Following the reading of this assigned chapter, answer the questions below as a discussion post. Question and/or sub questions must be numbered and stated first, followed by the appropriate answer. Each answer must have a minimum of 6 sentences, unless specified otherwise.
Student must incorporate the “Standards of Critical Thinking” (Clarity, Accuracy, Precision, Relevance, Depth, Breadth, Logic, Significance, and Fairness as a guide to clear, complete, in-depth writing.
1. Describe the steps that you utilized in your previous nursing course to master the course content, compared to each strategy listed on pages 59-60, under “Strategies to Process, and Remember Information”, and “critival Thinking and Memorization”. (Must address each strategy individually,minimum 4 sentences per response)
2. Evidence based practice (EBP) is the careful use of current best evidence in making decisions about patient care. Discuss how nurses can contribute to the development of new knowledge for current practices.
3. Discuss the relationship between the concept of “Teaching Ourselves: Grab the Spoon”, and the ‘Intellectual Traits’ of the Critical Thinking model of Paul and Elder.
4. Describe two academic situations in which you feel you were “spoon-fed”
5. Read “Teaching Ourselves: Grab the Spoon” page #56-57. Utilizing the comparing and contrast approach, provide two examples of how you personally used or did not use these strategies and the outcome from it.