Create a 12 slide PowerPoint presentation for teaching a legal or ethical issue pertinent to nurse educators.
As nurses we are all, no doubt, very aware of the myriad of legal and ethical issues in any health care setting. We are familiar with licensing for health care professionals, perhaps, carry our own malpractice insurance, and have been cautioned by our employing institutions to always follow policy and procedures. Nursing education is no different; there are specific legal and ethical issues that are of concern to nurse educators.
Additionally, nurse educators are often called upon to teach others about specific legal and ethical issues. This can create an interesting balance between adhering to the legal and ethical responsibility of the nurse educator’s role, while also providing enough context and real-world evidence to help assist others in learning about specific legal and ethical issues.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 4: Apply knowledge of legal and ethical issues relevant to higher education and nursing education.
. Describe a legal or ethical issue that requires changes in staff, faculty, or student behaviors.
. Synthesize resource information needed to evoke a change in the described situation.
· Competency 5: Articulate how nurse educators serve as change agents and leaders to help advance nursing education and nursing practice.
. Create a teaching presentation on a legal or ethical issue designed to evoke change in staff, faculty, or a student group.
. Identify culturally sensitive issues and how they should be addressed in the change process.
· Competency 7: Establish a plan for pursuing continuous improvement in the nurse educator role.
. Develop specific plans for continuous learning about a legal or ethical issue impacting nurse educators.
· Competency 8: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for a nursing education professional.
. Design a PowerPoint presentation consistent with current professional standards that demonstrates correct grammar, usage, and mechanics in addition to following APA standards.
In this assessment, you will create a PowerPoint presentation of 12 slides that you could use to teach a group about a legal or ethical issue related to nursing or nursing education. To do so, you will select a case from the Nursing Education Legal and Ethical Scenarios media piece, linked in the Resources under the Capella Multimedia heading to focus on.
· Review the case and take time to reflect on the change that needs to occur and the group that you will be addressing.
· Research what the group needs to know to improve the legal or ethical situation that has occurred.
· Use a minimum of seven references, of which at least five should come from peer-reviewed sources.
As you conduct research, synthesize information that will be needed to evoke a change in the situation.‹
Create a 12 slide PowerPoint presentation that you would use to teach about the legal or ethical situation and to create change related to that situation.
For your 12 slide presentation:
· Choose an appropriate theme and style.
· Include an introductory slide that identifies the problem and your role.
· Use slides to convey the important information and understandings to the group.
· Provide a summary slide that reiterates the important points of the presentation.
· Provide a slide that offers resources for the group after the teaching/learning experience.
· Include a slide with any references used in preparing the PowerPoint.
· Use the speaker’s notes feature to provide any additional information that you would include in the presentation. This should include any cultural sensitivity aspects and how the content is expected to make a change regarding the issue being addressed.
For the 2–4 contextual slides (which are not considered part of the actual presentation but rather should contain information that you as a presenter would need to consider in your preparation and presentation):
· Discuss any specific cultural and/or diversity aspects of the presentation that could be significant in the learning process. Include references and sources used to inform this.
· Analyze how the presentation may result in a significant change in the identified environment. Cite any relevant sources.
· Develop specific plans for how you might stay informed about the legal or ethical issue that was your focus. What resources could you use to learn about changes or developments that would impact your work?
Your presentation should meet the following requirements:
· Presentation: Create a professional-looking PowerPoint presentation, using speaker notes throughout.
· Written communication: Written communication should be free of grammar and spelling errors that distract from the content.
· APA format: Use correct APA format for all citations and references.
· Length: 12 slides for teaching presentation plus 2–4 additional contextual slides. Be sure to include the references slide.