Before beginning the synthesis process, it is important to become acquainted with the analysis and comparison of empirical articles. In this assignment, you will engage with the Comparison Matrix, a tool for analysis and comparison of empirical articles. You will also prepare an outline for a paper to be written based on the information gathered during your interaction with the matrix.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Locate and download “Comparison Matrix.”
- Locate: Weidman, J. C., & Stein, E. L. (2003). Socialization of doctoral students to academic norms. Research in Higher Education, 44(6), 641. Available at http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.library.gcu.edu:2048/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=11092904&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Locate: Baker, V., & Lattuca, L. R. (2010). Developmental networks and learning: toward an interdisciplinary perspective on identity development during doctoral study. Studies in Higher Education, 35(7), 807-827. http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.library.gcu.edu:2048/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=54329722&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Locate: Visser, L., Visser, Y. L., & Schlosser, C. (2003). Critical thinking distance education and traditional education. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 4(4), 401-407. http://library.gcu.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.library.gcu.edu:2048/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=12620957&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are not required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Read the articles listed above.
Complete the Comparison Matrix for each of the articles.If a component is not found in the article, enter N/A in the related cell in the table.
Construct an outline for a paper that will explain and compare the articles you read for this assignment. The paper will require identification of elements and themes common to the articles as well as a statement of the conclusions that can be drawn when the articles are taken together as a single entity You will be writing the paper in the next assignment
Expanded Comparison Matrix
Persistent GCU library link
Purpose of the study
What is the author’s rationale for selecting thistopic? Does he build a strong case?
What question(s) does the author present?
How is this organized? What are the main themes foundin the review? Who are the main authors used?
What group(s) is/are being studied?
What are the limitations of the study? Why can itonly encompass so much?
What did the author find through the study? Was theoriginal question answered?