ASSESSING A HEALTHCARE PROGRAM/POLICY EVALUATION
Program/policy evaluation is a valuable tool that can help strengthen the quality of programs/policies and improve outcomes for the populations they serve. Program/policy evaluation answers basic questions about program/policy effectiveness. It involves collecting and analyzing information about program/policy activities, characteristics, and outcomes. This information can be used to ultimately improve program services or policy initiatives.
Nurses can play a very important role assessing program/policy evaluation for the same reasons that they can be so important to program/policy design. Nurses bring expertise and patient advocacy that can add significant insight and impact. In this Assignment, you will practice applying this expertise and insight by selecting an existing healthcare program or policy evaluation and reflecting on the criteria used to measure the effectiveness of the program/policy.
- Review the Healthcare Program/Policy Evaluation Analysis Template provided in the Resources.
- Select an existing community, state, or federal policy evaluation or choose one of interest to you and get approval to use it from your Instructor.
- Review community, state, or federal policy evaluation and reflect on the criteria used to measure the effectiveness of the program or policy described.
The Assignment: (3 pages)
Based on the program or policy evaluation you selected, complete the Healthcare Program/Policy Evaluation Analysis Template. Be sure to address the following:
- Describe the healthcare program or policy outcomes.
- How was the success of the program or policy measured?
- How many people were reached by the program or policy selected?
- How much of an impact was realized with the program or policy selected?
- At what point in program implementation was the program or policy evaluation conducted?
- What data was used to conduct the program or policy evaluation?
- What specific information on unintended consequences was identified?
- What stakeholders were identified in the evaluation of the program or policy? Who would benefit most from the results and reporting of the program or policy evaluation? Be specific and provide examples.
- Did the program or policy meet the original intent and objectives? Why or why not?
- Would you recommend implementing this program or policy in your place of work? Why or why not?
- Identify at least two ways that you, as a nurse advocate, could become involved in evaluating a program or policy after 1 year of implementation.
The bill is the following:
The convening of the 2020 legislative session this Monday demonstrated that granting APRNs full practice authority is a top priority of the House. For the first time in Florida House history, Speaker Oliva designated a nurse practitioner, Dr. Doreen Cassarino, as the “Nurse Practitioner of the Day.”
Monday also marked the launch of a coalition, Floridians Unite for Health Care, to push for the passage of HB 607, a bill removing unnecessary restrictions on APRNs. This coalition will bring together nursing organizations from across the state, including the Florida Nurses Association, the Florida Nurse Practitioner Network and the Florida Coalition of Advanced Practice Nurses. Check out Floridians Unite for Health Care to see the growing support for HB 607.
We are pleased to report that HB 607 moved through to its next committee and we look forward to providing you with continued updates of the progress of this bill throughout the session. Please visit NursingFlorida and click contact your legislators to voice your support for HB 607!
Quick Facts on House Bill 607 – Advanced Practice Registered Nurses:
- INCREASES access to care in Florida, currently only 2% of physicians practice in our 30 rural counties
- MAINTAINS safe and quality care provided by over 32,000 APRNs licensed in Florida
- DECREASES health care costs in our state, resulting in a cost savings of $50-493 per Floridian
- REDUCES unnecessary regulations on APRNs, which will have a positive impact on Florida’s economy estimated at over $1 billion due to increased wages and job creation
Thank you for your continued support!
TEMPLATE IS ATTACHED. PLEASE FILL IT OUT.